Friday, January 15, 2010

Survivial of a Mathematician

I flipped through a new book Survivial of a Mathematician at a bookstore. It is a professor writing about life as a professional mathematician. Professional mathematician, of course, means a professor doing teaching and research. This book has no equations, just a sharing of career. This is a good read for students who has interest in (pure) math. This type of writing is not so common.

Mathematicians (well, actually professionals of many subjects in academics) can be quite lonely career. Only few understand what you're doing everyday. And of course there is publish or perish pressure, and professors don't make huge amount of money anyway. But, there is this tenure thing in academic world: basically you just can't lose job once you become a professor, much like Supreme Court judges serve for life.

I don't have what it takes to be a mathematician, hell no. I can say I have somewhat interest.
Think you do? You should know most of topics in this book.

Suppose I win the lottery and never ever have to worry about work and $, what would you do? I don't mind spending a few semesters in a lecture hall exploring new things. But good English speaking professors can be hard to find. And, I don't need the pressure of midterms and finals.

No comments: