Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Recruiters and the Lake of Fire

Some recruiters ought to be thrown in the lake of fire.
I got laid off a few months ago. But work are still to be done. That company wants to hire a cheap consultant to finish things up. The company must have posted the opening somewhere. MANY recruiter cold called me, saying they know my company is hiring. Damn it I know my company more than you do! You want to phone screen me then introduce me to my company's hiring manager who is steps away?

One recruiter cold called me, lured me into his office, without telling me details of the job he has on his hands. He made me talk about what I do for a living, then tells me: this is the EXACT opening he has now. What, you wantto talk to MY company to have them interview me to go back to the company that wants to fire me? He deserves to be put on the lake of fire.

Another recruiter cold called me and lured me into her office and make me talking about my past. Then say "well we don't have any openings now but we still would like to meet you, and the economy is quickly picking up and when there is opening we will call you". She never did.
Ok, I will spare this lady from the lake of fire because she is a pretty lady.

Recruiters want every single things listed on their job description to have something to talk about.

Another recruiter cold called me and lured me to their office. I have about 8 out of 10 things listed. She gets her boss to talk to me. Then the boss says they need a candidate that has it all! Then why bother telling me to come in the first place. I took the sincere apology from her, but that boss has such attitude that deserves to be thrown on the lake.

After I found work, I haven't take my resume off some job search sites yet, so I can still attract a cold caller or two. Before the guy finish, I told him I recently found work. The guy says: "ok, I'll still send you an email so if you know some friends looking they can contact me, ok?" I never receive such emails. Empty promise deserve a visit to the lake.

Recruiters: I KNOW your job is horrible. You work in a dinky office, trying to find people matching job descriptions, call them up, sell them to the employers, earn some $ if you succeed. Not much different from a used car salesman, and I know you don't understand all the buzzwords in the job description. To prevent going to the lake of fire, don't waste people's time and lure them in your office unless you have some confidence that the candidate is a good fit. Don't ask me how many years of HTML I have. 10 hours of it is equivalent to 10 years. How many years of experience in addition/subtraction do you have? Also, do what you promise, such as send me that email you promised.

All interviewers should give status PROMPTLY: take it or leave it. People deserve answers.

No comments: