Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Odd Jobs

Here are some odd jobs that I have had.

1. RUN programs (not write programs)
Every now and then, some data will come (somehow). I was supposed to RUN a bunch of programs (by starting them).
Baby sit them for errors. When they are done, run more programs.
If there are errors try to fix it or notify somebody.
Originally it was monthly, when people dare to put me run stuff daily I quit.

2. Buildmaster
You want me to WHAT? create build scripts for your projects already in progress? Maintain your chaotic branches? If you want to hire someone to do these things, put it in the job description so I won't apply. I got fooled into this job.

Something is very wrong with your company if you don't already have a build process and your code is in production.

Your project lead should give you such scripts before you even have a lot of code to build from. Here: you compile your stuff, package it and voila. You do it yourself. Only you know (and responsible for) what's supposed to be in your build. Don't make me ask you. You are responsible for the success of your project.

3. Maintain Proprietary Code
There are exactly two things you do in software. 1) write new code 2) fix somebody's old code. Yes (2) is necessary, you can't write new things all the time. I have seen completely undocumented code, outrageously documented code such as /* insert comment here */, but the worst is proprietary code locked in some hidden jars and stuff.

You define your own XML-like configuration stuff? Your stuff HIDE database calls? How do you suppose me to maintain this.

I have seen people who write some code, push me to maintain it, while shut door hiding from questions. Totally irresponsible. Sometimes I can get a hold of the author who will not dare to look at me to answer my questions.

That's only when I am lucky. Sometimes the author already quit. Sometimes source code is not even available.
IF things can run locally, IF a bug is reproducible, IF I can see exactly how data are queried and saved, I CAN probably fix your problem. However, sometimes things are hidden from me, inside some third party things. Ask them, not me.

4. Help Desk
Answer customer phone calls then try to address their complains. Yikes.
In a normal economy I won't apply for such work.

Here is what I want to do: write great code, learn new things, make good $, at a convenient location: not at the washroom or a conference room corner at a client site (something is very wrong with that). I am afraid I will never able to land on one anymore.

No comments: