Tuesday, January 6, 2009

On Vacation

At end of year, many people count and count their eligible days and leave behind (often poorly done) work for their poor coworkers to pick up. There is no commitment to get work done. Their priority is their vacation. (America workforce has such lazy culture).

Some people has so many vacation days that they can disappear for entire December. Unless you are having a baby or sick in hospital, one month vacation should not be allowed!

"What's your vacation plan?" Some colleagues ask me. Oh perhaps they care about me. NO, they just to know if I am available for stuff when they are gone. (Proof: nobody cares where each other go for Christmas)
Clueless managers look at how many days workers have left and declare workers MUST take vacation days because the days can't carry over. Heck, if I take vacation who is going to do work? Then I was asked to stay home but I do need to work from home to finish other people's work.

Vacation can be more hectic than work. Look it is $ to be spent, slide slide slide on that credit card for expensive must-eat-out-everyday meals, ~$100 a day for hotel may be (on top of mortgage payments that you may have). And there there is planning to be done. If you are in a remote place with no friends to visit, just what are you going to do? Just tour the streets and museums? Is it going to be fun? How are you going to get to places? A GPS system is FAR FAR better than the good old map.

Chicago is bitter cold and just too boring to stay, especially in winter... I decide that I must go out this year... to somewhere warm. I have never been in the southern hemisphere and seems most of it is too scary to go... How about the southern United States... the west: San Francisco or Los Angeles... the middle, somewhere in Texas like Houston, or the east like Florida. I want minimum planning and have some fun... how about Disney World in Orlando Florida!

It seems like most people I talked to already went, perhaps multiple times. Time for me to see this place... There are 4 theme parks... each with a different experience.

I enjoyed it much. Disney is not just for kids... it is impressedly built and managed. Why stories are full of castles and princesses can inspire a huge volume of philosophical thoughts too...

To be continued...

No comments: