Monday, January 12, 2009

IPhone and Clones

It seems like everyone loves the iPhone. Yes, sleek design and powerful... so colorful screen. It can even serve the web and play music and have GPS. It really is much, gosh much more than a phone. Check out the games! Very powerful graphic engine in there. Games not played by buttons, but by tilting/shaking the device. One especially popular game is the iPhone Labyrinth.

I got a chance to play with it at the Apple store. I also attempt to play a driving game by tilting left and right and thumbing on the gas pedal.

I even saw Pac man. But sorry, you don't have a joystick. You tilt and shake it... You just are not going to get good control and score high. I prefer buttons in video games, like the portable Playstation. Multiple buttons (just 2 or 4) offer much much more playability.

Although I don't quite like the iPhone design so much, there are many iPhone wannabe devices! Samsung got a few. Even Palm tries to stay in the market with its new iPhone wannabe: the Pre.
(Ok, you may also think it is a strange named product)

Palm HAD the popular product, it HAD a smart phone much earlier than Apple. Unfortunately it is not the king for long. How many people you know still play with Palm? I'd love to, but the screen get wacky and if I try to calibrate it it will be stuck in forever loop making me point to upper left and lower right.

Although color capability of previous Palm products were not nearly as cool as iPhone, it seems like the Pre is catching up. But alas, the Pre looks like a copy cat product! I don't predict Palm will make a big comeback, but may request bailout or disappear quietly. (Now that's sad)

I see no more PDAs on Palm's site. PDA market seems completely dead. The world is so against a mini notebook-like device... I LIKED the mini joystick navigation and 4 buttons design. Great for gaming and navigating. I think I'll like the google G1 phone. Can somebody let me play?

No comments: