Monday, January 26, 2009

My experience with IE7

I rarely update any programs unless it becomes horribly outdated. IE6 still runs ok, I really didn't need to update, but I am seeing issues with some javascripts running fine on 6 but not on 7, so I had to update, and there is no turning back.
Ok, even IE7 is a bit out of date, IE8 is on the horizon.

IE7 now has tabs which Firefox pioneered, Microsoft loves to copy other people's ideas.
When you open a new tab, it says "You've opened a new tab". Duh, I KNOW that. Don't show me this message again.

Here is one thing I don't like. The URL bar is right under the title car and I can't move it. Since in the dawn of Windows the first thing under title bar is the dropdown menu. Other Microsoft products such as Excel and Word lets you drag the dropdown menu around why not IE?

The refresh button: where is it! From the beginning, the refresh buttons are big icons, next to Home. Now it is next to the URL bar.

Fonts are much prettier in IE7. Smooth. Anti-aliasing taking place? It is approaching the pretty fonts of the Macintosh.
Waita minute, even my Outlook has that font now. Did IE7 just updated my fonts in my Windows directory? Hey, I ask for IE7 updates, and Microsoft is messing with other things.

Favorites. Microsoft loves to copy other people's ideas and name it differently. Firefox calls it bookmarks and Microsoft calls it favorites. It retained my favorites but it sorted them WITHOUT my permission! Look, those favorites were put for my convenience!

It copied Firefox's search bar next to URL. How about some orginality?

Other than these minor gripes, I think IE7 runs fine. Most of my browser update experience was positive, gosh except Netscape 4 to Netscape 6 years ago.

No comments: