Friday, April 23, 2010

Hello Android World

Since the success of the Palm, I knew computing will be moving to handheld devices. PDA that looks like a little notebook are all gone. They just have to look like phones to continue life. The stylus is so out of style.

Years ago I played with Metrowerk CodeWarrior and wrote programs for the Palm. Of course that is totally obsolete for today.

J2ME is around for a LONG time. A typical phone probably has a bunch of J2ME little games on it. However, it just is not so hot. For instance, I rarely ever see an ad hiring J2ME programmers.

So what's hot today: it's gotta be the iPhone and Android.

iPhone requires a Mac and it speaks Objective C. Objective C is around for a LONG time as an alternative to C++ in adding object oriented capabilities to C. Gosh it got some weirdo syntax!
C++ was the truly "better C" alternative. I ain't shelling out money to buy a Mac either. I just can't stand the italic font on the keyboard and no delete key and just one mouse button(!).

I prefer to use my current machine and use more intuitive syntax, so I prefer learning Android, with a Java library instead of battling the wackiness of Objective C.

Here is Hello World for Android that I went through.

Originally, it was disappointment... that emulator just gives me "A N D R O I D", and not the Hello Android as shown in the screenshot... That's because it takes almost a minute for the emulator to boot up! I hope to learn to program a few things on it... hmm, but I don't even have an Android phone. If I actually made something useful I'll buy one.

No comments: