Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On OS

Windows 7's ads are everywhere: billboard, buses, etc, featuring common people that says something like "I want it easier, and I got it." Trying to approach the regular people here, instead of techical jargons like yea you can do 64bit now.

Why bother all that advertising? PC users basically have no choice in the OS. If you buy a computer, chances are you will get Windows 7 already installed. I can't specify hey I WANT Windows 3.1 or I WANT Windows 95, probably still possible to get a Windows XP machine now.

But there is no good reason to shell out hundreds to upgrade your Windows XP to Windows 7 either. Keep using that old computer with old OS until you need a new computer.

Don't worry Windows I WILL be your customer, although I avoid to pay you as long as I can. I can't stand the one-mouse button Apple even if it is pretty. I can't stand an interface where I can't open 2 programs side-by-side. I also can't stand "Delete" meaning backspace and NO way to actually delete the way it SHOULD be doing: the mouse pointer stays and delete words after it.

I am not going through pain of making Linux work either. No one has time for that. Basic things should start working right away (like mouse moving, monitor not burning, printer driver working) when I turn on the computer and I am not hunting through HOW-TOs.

3 comments:

Alex Mak said...

The ad campaign with people saying lies about that Windows 7 was their idea and the other one says "I'm a PC." are just lame. Microsoft have one bad campaign after another.

The Mac ads are hip, smart and the catch phrases are right on the money. "there's an app for that."

Microsoft have lots to learn about advertising and copying Mac's candy colors.

Right, the mac is frustrating. The [home] key is completely useless. The Mac now does have a much better (mighty) mouse.

Most people (like me) have no choice but to buy Windows 7. Microsoft is trying to get new customers and yank them away from the fabulous Mac stores. Microsoft tries too hard with the lame campaigns.

Linux's GNOME/KDE offerings are fine but just have too few followers. The Corporate types will never adapt to it.

Joseph Mak said...

If there are Microsoft stores that sell Zune and Microsoft-made games and stuff that would be interesting. But I am sure not many people walks in.

The Mac has a distinct appeal, not even Sony stores can draw as much customers.

Anonymous said...

Quik Cash through its advertising represents that it abides by CFSA39s. Faxless cash advances online with no hassles or faxing like other companies.