Thursday, January 23, 2014

Goodbye Sears

Sears used to be mighty. Decades ago that was like THE department store to go to for everything... for appliances and just about everything else. The once tallest building in the world bears its name. It occupied the CENTER of Chicago at State & Madison. But that store is closing, probably soon running out of business altogether. News here

How can such mighty department store fail? My guess would be it isn't keeping up with the rest of the world. The styles of its clothing are too old school. Its appliances are old school. Well the entire retail business isn't doing so well as people buy stuff online now... It is inevitable. But for things like appliances I prefer to see the real machine.

I feel sorry for the 160 hourly employees... they can apply for a new glorious career at another Sears or... K-mart.

The article says, "State Street is performing at the highest level that it has in decades." Oh yeah? I never see as much crowd in State St as in Michigan Ave. Though Block 37 is nice but it is more than half empty.

Now this is why I am not a financial dude, why does the stock go up when this appears to be bad news? Oh CPS will occupy that building... and I wonder why. Would it be smarter for another retailer to come pay more rent? Another reason I am no financial dude who understands this.

My guess for the next goodbye will be... Radio Shack. Why they have so many stores and just how many little radio controlled toys they can sell to keep afloat?

No comments: