Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Can you really learn Algebra 1 in... 24 hours?

Saw this book in my periodic math section bookstore tour. Can you really learn Algebra 1 in... 24 hours?

If so, why are high school students taking entire year (ok, 9 months) to learn this... and most don't even learn it well. I flipped through this book. Excellent stuff. You'd hope your textbook was as good. I do recommend high school students to take a look.

Look folks, it does take more than 24 hours to Algebra 1. Students need some time to practice a bit to get comfortable because going to next topic right? I suppose you need at least a day or two to practice factoring a tri-nomial? and a few more to get comfortable with the notion of (linear) functions even of 1 variable?

Yes, I do believe the (probably American only) high school math curriculum is dragging way to long. 4 years of high school cover so little and too many students simply just FAIL even their curriculum is so easy.

But 24 hours is... too ambitious.

I'd say a more realistic time frame may be... 3 months?

No comments: