Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Goodbye Dominicks

The once mighty Dominicks Finer Foods is going to be gone soon. Go to one while it still remains open. Take a picture if you like to witness the end of an era. How sad. The Chase branch within has already been closed. Those nice-looking-young-blue-shirt folks are gone forever. A handful of elderly Dominick clerks still remain in the stores. There are so very few merchandise left. The whole store just look depressing.

Once upon a time, I saw it sells green onion for a whopping $1.50 a batch. I predicted "the end is near" Look at that fruit section. Not many people there buying anything. How do you compete with others? It is just too expensive. And its water spray system sprays at everything, even at gingers? You don't need to.

Once upon a time, I went to a human cashier, without a sticker on that napa, the guy flip flip and flip his code book and then ask me "what is it?!". Waita minute I thought Dominicks is supposed to be "people who know their food"?

Dominicks wanted to know your phone number every time you buy something to keep track of you like the NSA. Refuse to give? You will have to put up with even more outrageous prices without the-"Fresh Card". Even if you keep track of everything I ever bought you still run out of business. I suppose Dominicks can remain alive if it cuts its prices to attract more customers, cut its 24 hour into close-at-midnight-to-save-some-money. But I am sure they rather throw away food, close their doors, than cut price.

Looking forward for its new reincarnation as Mariano's. It is survival of the fittest. I feel sorry for the elderly folks who work there for perhaps decades.

No comments: