Monday, January 28, 2013

New phone: Nexus 4

My old Huawei Comet is lightweight, small, trusty but low-end phone. Once upon a time I peaked someone in the CTA playing Angry Bird on a modern phone I am like gee, how come Angry Bird does not look like that in my phone. And when I look at the kinda blurry pics taken, hmm, I can use something slightly better. And as an Android enthusiast, I deserve a good upgrade for a new higher end phone. Should I get the Samsung Galaxy III (or the Mini)? or the Nexus right from Google? Head-to-head reviews indicate that Nexus and Samsung Galaxy are very comparable. Gee, the Samsung is so expensive! Ok, the price determine that the Nexus is a better choice. This is a highly wanted product on Google Play. Frequently it is in SOLD OUT status, and I waited 2 months for it. But your local phone dealer may have it, yea they probably want you to renew contract and adhere to them forever.

Both the Samsung Galaxy 3 and the Nexus have one problem though: it is BIG to carry around. Why modern phones are so big? Ok so it is easier on the eye you say? But why do you have to watch videos on it? Get a 7-inch or 10-inch device for that. My sole complain is the size.

The Nexus's battery is not detachable! The SIM card is a Micro version and you need to poke it with a staples to open up the fragile tray. Not sure if I like this design.

Pics and videos: sure it can do better than the old phone, but don't expect phones to replace your trusty Canons yet. It even has a flash.

But when you compare head to head with an IPhone... I am sorry to say this Android, but the IPhone does look even better. I am not sure what exactly is missing here.

And I am saddened to find out some of my apps don't work well on large phones... yes, I didn't test on big phones and didn't bother to find bigger icons for bigger layouts. Some of my apps not just look bad but crashed. Ok, let me open up the code, get logcat ready and see what exceptions get thrown... Hey, all I need is re-compile and didn't have to touch the code and it now works?! What's up with backward compatibility at binary level? When I have time I will try to fix the look of some of my apps.. with larger icons and better handling... That layout thing... sometimes is hard to tweak to make it look right.

Not everyone needs modern expensive phone. A lower-end one actually provide most of what you need. Save your $ if your phone is working fine... unless you develop apps too.

Yes, Angry Bird (Star Wars) is more fun on my modern phone.

No comments: