Friday, January 4, 2013

Abandoned Android App

You hear in news almost everyday in Chicago: so many people shot. In 2012 there were more than 500 homicides.

I had a good app idea: visualize Chicago homicide data. See data here.

I wanted to integrate this with the map, to see how close you are relative to crime scenes. I want to sprinkle the map with a blood icon for each homicide, tap on icon to see details of the incident. Well I have partial success in this. But 500+ overlays seems to be too much for phone to handle. See I have to take each address, reverse geo code it to find lattitude/longtitude, add an overlay with handler on the map. And there is fuss of getting MAP API to make anything to display. Oh no, the MapView has deprecated. Ok I am not going to bother... I haven't had a good app idea for a long while now.

No comments: