Monday, August 16, 2010

Career on Thin Ice

Recently I get a chance to talk to some people about their IT career. I am glad they do well... still have a job, in fact, they are having some good career. These guys are at least a few years younger and do have a much more successful career, most likely with less programming skills.

They say, "I don't do coding anymore."

A IT career without coding for me is hard to imagine. They tell me, they are now a liaison between "the business" and programmers outsourced half way around the world.

"I write specs and they do it"

Nice going. Without the frustration of code fighting, draw boxes and arrows, write some Word docs and have somebody figure it out*

* * *

I asked a couple other folks, "How long have you worked at your current job?"

"I've been there for 10+ years. I used to code and now I manage people half way around the world too"

I already thought my last job for 7 years was way too long.

* * *
These guys though seem to be doing good, probably able to drive a BMW merely by drawing boxes and arrows and have somebody do the real work. What these guys don't realize is... even THEIR job can be outsourced. Their career is also on thin ice.

Without some real skills it will be hard to survive. 10 year IS really too long for any job, unless you are a VP or something. I hope that job continue to provide them updated skills they need. I wish them good luck. I wish MYSELF good luck.



*If I "architect" something (that is too strong a word, do "software architects" know what an actual building architect does? they may not even remember the 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangles, nor have some actual skills besides pulling buzzwords), I WORK WITH my developers. I get them in a room, tell them what are the things and divide-and-conquer each component. I go into the burning house with firemen like a firefighter leader. I don't draw pictures and have them download and then hide from them.

1 comment:

Alex Mak said...

Guys with no tangible skills like that will always be able to find jobs, I wouldn't worry about them.