Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Standard Windows programs makeover

In Windows 7, basic programs since good old Windows 3.1 (or even before that) has makeover.

Look at the calculator. Ooh it's nicer, even with unit conversions.

Look at paintbrush. Ooh that "ribbon" toolbar is the same from Office 2007. I still haven't recovered from the shock of difference between Office 2003 to Office 2007.
Oh, .BMP is no longer standard format, but .PNG?

Look at wordpad, ribbon toolbar again. This is the word processor for those who can't afford Office.

But I'd like to scream: Windows Explorer works perfectly in XP and even previous versions. Where the heck is my "go back 1 directory up" icon? How the heck do I show my extensions? (that is hidden by default) It used to be in Folder Options. (now it is not so obvious)

1 comment:

Alex Mak said...

At first I loathe the ribbon, but now I am sort of OK with the pictures.

GUI need to continue to evolve. I like what I see in Windows 7, but there is a long way to go.

The transparent glass makeover is badly needed.