Thursday, July 2, 2009

More virus attacks

I got virus attack again. McAfee only knows how to charge me, it is so ironic to see Windows Defender reported a problem in one window while McAfee says everything is fine.

Unfortunately even Windows Defender can't defend me this time, at least it identify it.

The wacky behavior I saw was: I lost file extensions in Explorer, and there is no Folder Options under the Tools menu!

When I use regedit, it tells me I am not allowed to use it!

I followed links from Windows Defender and end up in Windows Live OneCare that scanned my machine for hours and found many things and it can remove some of the malware things.

McAfee didn't. I am about to delete it.

I THINK I salvaged the machine, Live One Care still says can't fix several things.

The malware hacked my registry quite a bit.

I learned that there is a gpedit command that can be run on Windows->Run that launches the management console and you can tweak settings. Can you believe there is an option to turn OFF Tools->Options->Folder Options? There is never ever a reason to turn that off.

1 comment:

Jade said...

I used to have McAfee, now I have an iBook! :D