Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jury Duty

I got called to Jury Duty again, last time I got called was at least 7 years ago. Last time it was a court close by, and nobody got called and I got released early.

This time I got called to Markham, IL court, way south of Chicago. 159th Street exit of highway 57! So when I got to the jury assembly room I picked a number... after waited about 2 hours my number got called! I watched some Oprah and read a few issues of Times during that 2 hours. Not many Chicagoans are interested in that Scientific American magazine there.
I went to the court room! Then in the court room the judge took attendance, gotta say "here". The last time attendance took place was when I was in high school. Then lunch break took place. There is no restaurant nearby, I grabbed a basic sandwich from a gas station. After the break, 14 individuals got picked to sit on the Jury row. I was the LAST ONE to be called! Then, individually, the judge asked the same set of questions: who do you live with, what do you do for a living. Can you be fair, etc. Quite inefficient if you ask me. Then another break took place. The judge then called out 7 names... I was called, also the last one to be called! Ah it turns out that the ones getting called are not selected. I got out of the court and awarded $17.20. I felt a sense of joy. :) The case was a DUI case, the people vs that driver...

No comments: