Monday, October 27, 2008

Dunkin beats Starbucks

Ads all over the place: Dunkin beats Starbucks. http://www.dunkinbeatstarbucks.com.

Waita minute, I see grammar parser error. Third person singular rule violated. Should it be dunkinbeatsstarbucks.com?

Ok, As you can see too many "s" without space is hard to read. Ok, the grammar parser forgives Dunkin.

Starbucks: much stronger taste, more expensive, and strange terms: tall, grande, etc, where "tall" means small.
That adds a bit of a class I suppose.

Starbucks focuses on coffee, Dunkin's original focus is of course donuts. I am not eating those expensive snacks in Starbucks... Donuts are getting much more expensive now!

Comparing coffee... I think I like Dunkin too over Starbucks.

But most Starbucks have nice couches and nice environment to read some newspaper or chat with your friends.
One time I saw some guy with a professional set of chess with roll-up board waiting for his friend to come. That's a great place for games...

I think college students will find it a great place to do homework with wifi around. When I was in college 56K modem was a luxury item (which I don't have!). Oh I didn't have a laptop either :( Even to this date I don't own one.

But both are quite expensive! I am sure the world can use another great coffee place at a dollar a piece for a small coffee. Still great margin in there. Look, I can buy a BIG can for about 10 bucks and it makes lots of cups. But I KNOW, all coffee are not the same.

2 comments:

dada said...

I like strong tasting coffee, but too much caffeine makes me bouncing off the walls and dehydrating. The regular grande Starbucks has this effect. Regular Dunkin don't do me any good, I have to get the turbo hot which has expresso shot. When I am on the go and just want a regular coffee, I will get Dunkin.

I thought Starbucks is hotspot by Tmobile and we have to pay? So to sit around, I will go to panera which has free wifi!

Alex Mak said...

Starbucks have a yuppy and college ambiance. Customers are rich, polite, and women who buy coffee there wear trendy bug-eye sunglasses.

Dunkin's have well, donuts. Some Dunkin's now have couches, but you'd hang out there?

Panera is an very fine fast food restaurant, however, when you get coffee, the cashier girl points you to the thermoses! Coffee should not come from a thermos!

It makes no sense to go and buy coffee in the morning. Get the beans from the grocery store and brew your own cup. To hang out, there are lots of coffee shops to choose from; Dunkin's being the last place because the decor is horrid.