Monday, October 20, 2008

Chinatown on Fire

Recently Chinatown is in the news, twice, with fire.
First, the little museum was burned.
News Link

Then, the Penang restaurant was also burned.
News Link

Fortunately there is fire station right there in Chinatown, and they did a fantastic job of putting out the fire fast.

Penang is one of the better, more distinguished restaurant there (although that sushi isn't that great, and that chicken rice declined in quality recently). I hope they open again soon, with better food.

I remember one additional fire instance from Chinatown... It was the destruction of State Farm and Hong Min...

Forutnately no one was hurt.

A truck was also turned over (probably at high speed) at the 55/Cermak exit on Sunday. I guess it wasn't big deal enough to be on the news.

3 comments:

dada said...

Also the truck that ran into redline, very bad one.

I was working at State Farm during the fire. I was deflating those air-filled package padding at the time, then I was thinking, why does it give such a strange odor?.. Then we start seeing smoke coming out from the wall.. We ran out and the smoke was already choking, it was pretty quick.

Guess it's a good idea to have a fire station so close by..

Joseph Mak said...

Interestingly enough, NONE of the people appear on TV after the redline crash was Chinese. and it was the Chinatown station.

dada said...

Yea, I think on that day it was all white/African America. But next day when they air the investigation going on, at least one Chinese was interviewed. I remember because the english was bad….