Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The comic author sucks in math

xkcd.com often provides amusing math/science related comics. Ok, though quality is not top notch but better than what I can do. I have it as a igoogle gadget so I get updates daily. The following comic intends to spark gender prejudice in math:



What the author does not remember is this: in standard math notation the integral sign NEVER appears by itself. It needs to answer "with respect to variable.". You know, dx, dy, etc. It seems like x is the variable here but it wasn't specified. So I have to say it is neither the boy or the girl sucks in math but the author himself. Ok "sucks" may be too harsh. How about "needs more work."?

Ok, on math prejudice, I have met some very smart female math students. If girls want to learn they can also be very accomplished mathematicians. It is just math not quite attractive enough for many of them to major in that's all. Look around a typical math classroom beyond the required calculus series: almost all guys. Look at a faculty bulletin board: almost all male. My take on education is this: if one is willing to learn and has the right resources, anyone can be an accomplished student. It just turns out that guys have more interest, that's all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agreed. My current CalcII (Adv Geom & Calc) class has a male teacher, 9 male students, and 3 female students (including me) on a campus where guys are outnumbered 3:1.
I have noticed, however, that the girls who are in math are obsessively mathematic, like the one girl with the pi symbol tattooed on the back of her neck...