Monday, February 11, 2008

Amusing google news

I love google. Amazing search ability is just the beginning. I am sure everyone agrees that their map service is awesome. I especially love iGoogle. You can create your own page of your favorite portlets! That's what portal SHOULD be, unlike the wacky content management system I use here at work. News is great too. It pulls info from various newssite so I have my own customized newspaper.

Here is an amusing news entry I see today:



No, not the news item itself is amusing, but look at that first line of article! It talks about Javascript! Seasoned programmers know that this is the <noscript> tag. What people are still using browser without javascript? Ok, you can turn javascript off. Some people do amazing things with Javascript, combine that with DHTML and one can have some fairly sophiscated sites. Maintaining such code can be nightmaric though. Some people prefer no client side coding at all! Rather, people have libraries that generate complicated javascript routines, especially for AJAX. Suddenly the pendulum of preference swings back to thick client.

No comments: