Monday, April 8, 2013

Rick Warren's son commits suicide

Rick Warren's son committed suicide, apparently because of depression.

You may have heard of Rick Warren's famous book "The Purpose Driven Life". Millions of copies sold. I've read this book myself. This book is well written in clear language, highlighting the cash cow important verse Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
I can see how this book may even transform lives for it supposedly have give the hopeless hopes, and the purposeless with some purpose. I certainly admire people who can sell millions of books...

How many people actually zoom out of the verse and read just the chapter? The LORD is talking to those who were taken exile... not to you.

Yikes, Rick Warren's own son was in depression, despite having a loving family, prayers, and the best medical personnels and counselors available... Matt still can't climb out of the depression. Some depression perhaps can trait back to a cause... such as Miss Right decides to go with a lessor being, friends betray you, couldn't get to the school/job you want, or growing up without loving parents... alas sometimes we can't trace to the source and resolve... I guess depression can be something beyond what current medicines can fix... but yikes how much are the not-so-helpful doctors and counselors charging Warren? That bill can cause someone who don't make as much money right into depression.

Not even faith can help him... now that's depressing.

Read the next verse in Jeremiah, "Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. " I am sure they did. How come the LORD doesn't actually step in to help?

Now, here is a another tough theological question... is Matt going to heaven? He has violated "thou shalt not kill (yourself)"

Who understands the pain Matt has to go through? Who understand the pains that some people with horrible diseases who wants to go to Jack Kevorkian-style suicide go through? This is a tough question.

No comments: