Friday, November 20, 2009

Word 2007 Equation Editor

My first reaction with Microsoft Word 07 was: Argh! where are the menus! I can't even go Help->About* to reveal what the heck I am using.

Look, I used Microsoft Word since 2.0 on Windows 3.1 and it had menu since. The very fact that Windows is better than DOS is the menus. Without "File" how the heck am I going to open anything. Ok, that Microsoft button is for that purpose. Modern Windows also have that Microsoft button in lower left corner for your Start button. Confusing isn't it? It will take a while to get used to the new menu system. However, if you have NEVER used any previous Microsoft Word, perhaps you will actually LIKE the new organization.

My favorite new feature is the equation editor. It is so easy now to enter an equation. Math teachers would love it to author tests. My high school teacher used to hand write an integral symbol or a summation sigma on an early word processor. Sure, previous Word versions has equation writer but it was such hassle to use, and most likely you don't have that installed. Click on that Equation dropdown in 07 I see a bunch of familiar and well known equations.

Ah, but I'm not so familiar with this Trig Identity.



I remember (and most have probably forgot) the addition formula and the double angle formula. I just don't recognize this one. Is it really necessarily to write the familiar simplified expression in LHS to become more ugly in RHS?

Rest assured students: you probably don't need to know this identity. But do remember this: sin2θ + cos2θ = 1, for any θ (why?)**

Among the sample equations in Word is ex. Isn't that great looking? (How do we get that? dig out your calculus book's section on Taylor Series). This ex is also the only function that can boldly say: derivatives! I am not afraid of you!


*To get to the About screen, now we do Microsoft button->Word Options->Resources->About button. This is definitely not intended for you to go there often.

**The Pythagorean Theorem. Don't trust me? play on your calculator to verify sin2θ + cos2θ = 1 (I don't care if you are in degree or radian mode).

No comments: