Thursday, April 9, 2009

Too many programming languages

Got my hand on a copy on a few months old MSDN magazine.. I am impressed with paper quality of this magazine. Smooth paper! It has nice layout. If you are not anti-Microsoft tools I think you'll like this magazine...

In the magazine I learned about that there is IronRuby as one of Microsoft's .NET language for its CLR. (CLR reminds me of this cleaning product in department stores). Ruby starts out as a toy language for enthusiasts and now Microsoft grab it and include it in its own language packs.

Microsoft likes to have lots and lots of languages doing similar things for its .NET platform. Sure, it has its own Java-like C#, and Visual Basic has major face lift to fit that platform... There are so many! The world does not need too many programming languages really, unless it is a breakthrough. Since Java's breakthrough out of hairy C++, I really don't see new breakthroughs needed....

Oh my, in the list of CLR languages, there is a Spanish oriented one (called Lexico), there is even a language called Boo... Boo is a Super Mario ghost character!

No comments: