Friday, April 10, 2009

13.25% Tax on that Soda

Chicago has the highest sales tax in America at 10.25% (and this is old news).

I do realize there is a bottled water tax, which I support, to curb excessive use of plastic.

I rarely pay attention to the calculation of taxes on my receipts, I just noticed that there are 3 additional percent on soft drinks. That means 13.25% tax on the soft drink! Isn't that outrageous?

There are tax on cigarette and alcohol, well only those addicted are affected.
But soft drink is such common thing! Is it designed to curb excessive sugar and aluminum? No it is just outrageous new burden on common people! Parking meters increased too. Now 1 quarter only buy you 15 minutes of parking in Chinatown... Property tax is of course also outrageous.

The government better make good use of that tax money. But yikes, is there any watchdog on how that money is spent? There better be.

No comments: