Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Wonderful Math News

Actress Danica McKellar from the 1980s TV show Wonder Years is now a mathematician who wrote a math book for teenage girls: Math Doesn't Suck. See this link for details.

I like the Wonder Years, although I did not watch a lot (and didn't like the narrator involved). Teenage is truly the most wonderful time isn't it? A young boy's crush for attractive classmate is so pure and wonderful.

The attractive classmate is now a mathematican. This is great celebrity news comparing to news from other young lady celebrities such as the troubles of Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton. (but I like Lindsay!)

Although you don't have to be a mathematician to be "smart". Staying out of trouble is the basis of smart.

Now about the math book. I'd like to see it!
I probably won't need to buy a copy for myself because I probably know all the stuff in there. :) But I'd like to see how such information is presented to young girls. How to convince them math doesn't suck. If I know a young girl who needs help in math I'll buy her a copy.

America needs a learning revival, a renaissance! (Not just in math).
Spread the news that it is great to learn! Drugs and drunk driving gets you nowhere!

Here is the most wonderful, heart-warming line from the news link above, "The actress once struggled with the subject around the seventh grade, but a teacher helped her through."
The actress now probably achieved in math more than the 7th grade teacher now. 7th grade math is EASY, but helping students to learn is sometimes not so easy. Now that Danica has mastered 7th grade math (and much more), she is now doing the harder part: helping others learn. The wonderful work of great teachers are one of the true wonders in life.

If Danica can still locate the teacher, I think she should give the teacher a copy.

No comments: