Friday, August 17, 2007

Stock Scares and Spell Check

I never quite understand stocks and markets. Perhaps that's why I am not a rich man. It is complex and has a LOT of psychological factors. Ooh somebody is fearing bad mortage loans. News spread, and boom, stock crash. HUGE, black headlines saying this is biggest crash since 911. So many people dead in flood and earthquakes don't get this much coverage.

In the past few years, real estate became outrageously expensive. People are crazy for get-rich-quick schemes of buying and finding the victim to sell to. Banks are hungry for business so they let more people borrow. Of course such market is going to bust. We've all seen it. Why are you surprised?

Here is the link I am reading, http://www.cnbc.com/id/20319066, and I only read 1 sentence, copy and pasted here.

"Wall Street's mood is significantly better today than it has been in recent days, after the Federal Reserve surprised the markets by cutting its discount rate by an aggressive half-percentage point, from 6.25% tp 5.75%."

I don't quite understand how changing a percentage can stabilize stock crash but that's not what I want to discuss here.

Is "tp" Turbo Pascal? or is it a typo. Ok, perhaps they fixed it by the time you check out the page. Editors are so rush to get this story out without spell check. And this is the FIRST sentence. Don't look for MY spelling mistakes in my blog here. I don't make a living as a newsreporter. I demand better spelling ability from news websites.

No comments: