Monday, October 10, 2016

Come on, yahoo

Ok the year was 1995. The internet was new. Websites were pure HTML and at most you have little CGI perl thing to handle a post... Netscape 1.0 was the only browser in town... and just about everyone set yahoo.com as the homepage. It was a web catalog... It had links to newborn websites as it helped people navigate around the world wide web. and yahoo email was one of the first webpage based email around...

So at an old workplace people go hey let's get an yahoo account for chatting. The year was 2001 and my yahoo email was generated and has '2001' on it... I like it never ask me to reset password I found it annoying needing to do so. Until... oh yahoo has been HACKED. See this old news. What to do? change your password of course.

But. I. Can't.

Go to the Account page, change password, it takes me to some AT&T page and nope, can't change password there.

What gives?

Why is it going to AT&T? just plain wrong. and plain does not work. Ok, I don't have any credit card info there or anything so I don't feel threatened. (I would worry a bit more if this is a shopping site like amazon)

People say yahoo is not able to keep up.. and therefore losing ground. Yahoo's search is alright... but google does it better with less annoying ads (and therefore nobody uses yahoo search now). Yahoo maps was pretty cool until google's map is even better and therefore no one uses yahoo maps now. It is unfortunate.

Yahoo even has its own library to do javascript/css! See http://yuilibrary.com/. Nope. Nobody even heard of it. People just do jquery and other things. (and YUI is dead now)

Yes, lots and lots of business lessons can be learned... about rise-and-fall of business. Even smart people can't save it... cause there are even smarter people out there? I'll continue to use your free email service yahoo... I still read your newsfeeds. I am still your user. But waita minute, how come I cannot reset that password...

1 comment:

John Dolce said...

Yahoo UI is now PureCSS framework: http://purecss.io/ which is nice