Friday, August 7, 2015

Hello Windows 10

Ok, installed Windows 10. It took about 2 hours. The new browser Edge first refuses to open, all I see is the IE logo. Then it starts to work well. During installation process you can tweak some settings otherwise everything you ever do will get sent to Microsoft (perhaps they collect your info anyway)

I think the only suggestion I have for Microsoft is not to use the same IE logo.

Overall this is a positive upgrade. Seems not to occupy disk space that much. Things work smoother. I get mysterious quiet crashes from Metro apps and haven't seen one yet. It will get a while to get used to.

I like thoughtful things. Putting File Explorer in start menu is good idea.

Now I get a search box right next to Start button. Hope that can be moved. I only want short cuts to my apps in the bottom. Whacking the charm bar is a good thing. Now the start button pull in News items and stuff. Well I think I want news only from the News app... do not need distraction.

The entire windowing UI is different now... Launch notepad.exe to see what I mean. Seems not as natural as previous versions.

I wonder what will I talk to Cortana about. Will try to talk to "her" later.

No comments: