Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Common Core(?) triangle

This is an actual homework problem from my kids' cousin's 4th grade homework.

Ooh two slashes there... indicating this is an isosceles triangle? Oh all sides are 3. This is an drawn-poorly-out-of-proportion equilateral triangle!

Perimeter is easy. 3+3+3 = 9.

Ok, height = 2. ½ base × height = 3 cm 2. Done?

But look! Waita minute. The height is 2? But this is an equliateral triangle governed by 2 special 1-2-sqrt(3) triangles. So the height is 1.5 × sqrt(3) = 2.598... not 2 even when you do some rounding.

So the area is 1.5 × sqrt(3).

The students in that class has not seen a radical nor have any idea about the Pythagorean theorem. Something is wrong here.

I think I need to go beg the teacher to tell me the right answer.

Now, I need to beg the teacher to tell me another thing: what the heck is this "number model" here?

This post probably isn't going viral.

No comments: