Tuesday, December 9, 2014

My Third Android Phone: Moto G

My first Android phone was a gosh low end very basic one on Froyo with small screen. My first Android programs was developed there. It is crappy in a lot of ways but good for its time.

My second Android phone was a Nexus 4, for about $400. Stylish and cool and good developers' phone that keeps API updated. Shiny stylish. It's got Lollipop (not that it is a super ground breaking update except the long needed flashlight) Alas I cracked the back (but no big deal). Alas that power chord choked the tab so I can't USB (that's still ok cause I can get pics from cloud), although can't code anymore. Alas then part of the screen won't receive clicks! That's the region I use the 9 dot pattern the most. This means: the screen can get worn out. That's... still ok after I changed pattern. but it is now hard to tab on my voice mail's password. and then sometimes it will scroll and tap crazily. Gosh I need a new phone. It has been 2 years.

Shopping for new phone is unfun. The Nexus 5 and 6 are never available on Google Play. The 5 is reasonably priced. But I am sorry, it is matte not glossy? The 6 is very expensive even if it is available. Nexus has curious naming. Originally Nexus 7 and 10 means the inch size. Now that your phone size has bump into each other what is the next one going to be called? Buy it on Amazon? everything I see is International Version No Warranty.

The other one that has great review is the Moto X. Ooh you customize everything! At checkout it is whooping $549.

Get a contract one you will just eventually pay the same price.

The Moto G you can customize too but with exactly 2 options: white or black. Oh but at under $200. it is supposed to be well worth it.

Ok so I got one. first, the 2 metal bars in top and bottom are completely useless. They are not buttons that wake your phone up. It isn't a very light phone like the new IPhone 6 (that's ok). It comes with a "Launcher" that gives you 4x4 icons. Argh! I have been seeing 5x5 for 2 years since Nexus 4. Completely cannot stand it. It is like running Windows 3.1 when the rest of world running Windows NT... and this is not customizable until I downloaded the Apex Launcher. A huge let down by google. It should come out of box give you options to tweak your home screen and apps display.

I did not need to download such thing for Nexus 4.

When I migrated to Nexus 4... I think all my apps got installed. Hey Google Play knows what I downloaded. Nope. In new phone I got to download each one.

And the Moto G did not even come with a charger that you can break into USB? Even a freaking feature phone has that so it can be charged on a computer! No headphones not even an extremely cheap one.

Bright side: the colors are vivid. Camera is fairly decent. Nice and Loud. Better than not able to click on certain regions.

Soon I may be ready to come back to Android Development.

No comments: