Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Same as years ago

What is the #1 thing technical job interviewers look for in a programmer? Yes, knowledge of Design Patterns.

Every programmer needs to be able to talk intelligently about this "Gang of 4" thing. There seems nothing else is exciting about software development since the publishing of that book in 1994.

This book is over-priced, difficult to read, has only brief incomplete code in C++. Let me dare to say this: I DON'T LIKE THIS BOOK!

Yet the idea of the Design Patterns are actually important to know. A decade ago I finally understand them much better after reading something like this: non-software examples of the Design Patterns. For example, http://www.cours.polymtl.ca/inf3700/divers/nonSoftwareExample/patexamples.html

Years ago I had to leave my job because people give me non-software development stupid tasks. The answer to "why do you want to look for a new job" is "I want to do software development (and not endless support or RUN programs)" Yet recently I answer the same question the same way.

Interviewers quiz me Design Patterns. Yet everywhere I go because actually don't do that much design patterns in use. (Ok, except that MVC) Everyone merely read some input fields store them somewhere, do some simple processing and redisplay them elsewhere. They don't need all that abstract factories and stuff.

No comments: