Monday, June 4, 2012

Lost & Found - Friends

If you open up a high school yearbook, or look through old pics, do you realize that many of the people you know are simply gone? If that high school yearbooks says, "Friends 4ever, KIT" with a phone number are you going to call that person up and say hi after so many years?

If you do, chances are the person will say "what's up?" and afraid you are trying to sell life insurance. Chances are: the person in those old pics or in your old memory actually do not care about keep-in-touch with you.

Yes, people go separate ways. For many cases, it is perfectly ok. As time goes on you meet different people do different things and end up just doing your own things. You have your things to work on and nobody else understands. After all, we are all individuals.

I guess the best way to communicate to long lost friends and work colleagues is through email. That way I won't catch them driving or in the bathroom (unless that person checks mail in those places). But gosh, in high school emails were not used... in college everyone has yourname@yourschool.edu addresses and of course those aren't valid anymore. There wasn't yahoo, gmail or hotmail back then... Fortunately now there is facebook and other things that you can hook up with friends if they are on it.

There are times I attempt to contact old work colleagues after job change. There are those who replied and those are those who don't. That's perfectly fine I hope you have glamorous career and I am not trying to sell you life insurance, but if they end up selling life insurance they can contact me and I'll politely say "no thanks".

So I encourage you to take pictures with friends, colleagues to capture moments of togetherness... people have common paths just briefly and may go their own ways soon. Get to know their personal emails.

I am glad to get in touch with old college friends. I am glad they are accomplished people who I can locate on web searches. I am glad friends still remember me.

Friends... some people say... are like pieces in your chess game. You use them. I BEG to differ to this view. Relationships need to be a lot more genuine than this. Are you going to tell your children that you are merely using them so that they can take care of you when you get old? I am afraid your children will have you pay your own nursing home bills if they find out your bad intent.

I hope you have some good friends and work colleagues. They are hard to find. After all, all the individuals that I know don't have to be friends with me. Other wise there are too many people to keep track! I don't have to be friends with everyone either. We are individuals.

No comments: