Monday, August 1, 2011

Fairwell bookstores

Bookstores are great to-go places, for kids and adults. Reading bring so much enrichment to life as we read know-hows and wisdom from authors.

However, the uprising of the internet shopping caused bookstores to suffer because of the low prices that real stores cannot offer. (Look, online stores have no staff to feed and no rent to pay). And now, electronic readers have come along, the demand for paper copies is even less.

Bookstores have suffered to a point of collapse. The Borders stores are closing soon.

Sorry Borders, I admit browsing books at your store and buy them online.

Now with the GOING OUT OF BUSINESS signs hanging, I decided to buy a book from you. I bought Garry Kasparov's Checkmate Tactics. I browsed through this excellent book months ago and it was still there. That is exactly the reason why stores are closing. No one is buying! This is my first chess book ever. It is excellent and when I am done I'll write a review.

I also bought Prime Obsession to read about the Prime Number Theorem and the great unsolved problem: the Reimann Hypothesis.

Although at a discounted price, I still would pay less on Amazon. But I decided to give this extra dollars to Borders, to thank it for providing me a place to read, to wander into.

Although movies are all over on the internet, it hasn't yet killed the theater, for the social aspect for it. (Mr. Rights need to take Ms. Right candidates some place right?) Unfortunately it has killed most bookstores.

No comments: