Friday, April 29, 2011

Google map on Android

Google Map is awesome and easy to use on javascript. Don't believe me? Go here.

Well if it is so easy, and Android can show html/javascript, why not do in javascript and then have Android display it? Boom, it did't work for me, perhaps I am missing something.

You can try the MapView API, and get a key... details in here.

Throw away the easy javascript stuff, they don't apply in the MapView API.

Waita minute, just what do you want to use google map for? just about everything has been already done by someone else? like getting directions from point A to B, put little balloons at certain locations etc.

Well I need google map for drawing polygons as outline for states.
Sample use: draw red and blue states for election results.

But I have another use to draw states, stay tuned.

Drawing states is not so easy. It would be easy if every state is a rectangle like Wyoming. First I need to get latitude/longitude data... and eventually I found them on the web. But wait, the earth is not flat! If I treat it like regular x-y coordinates they will look funny... so I will need google map...

I tamed it and am able to draw states in any color I specify.

No comments: