Sunday, August 9, 2009

Elements of a winning restaurant

This weekend I visited two new restaurants.
Both restaurants have good interior design, ok, one of them has rather too luxurious design.

Yikes, both restaurants fail to make me come a second time.
1. food from both of these are bad. Come on, I come not to eat your designs, but your food. Some way too salty and some under-marinated. TASTE it yourself and determine if you want to pay money for this first.

2. unskilled waiters. You do not take orders using my table as writing pad. One waiter even delivered stuff to the wrong table.

3. wrong words in menu indicate lack of any knowledge of food industry or your own written language.

Oh, and you don't have printed menus for me to take home? (You're not ready for opening then) Also, all Chinese/Asian restaurants should give chopsticks. For example, My Thai only give you chopstick when you ask for it (they pull it from their pocket). I WANT chopsticks in Chinese restaurants and I shouldn't need to ask. If you are going to serve egg roll, give me sweet and sour sauce (I don't have to remind you)

The elements of winning restaurants are
1. good atmosphere. If you are not comfortable, I am not comfortable. Set temperature at 70°F. Outrageous cold isn't getting you anywhere: you just pay more. Keep it clean. Ok, new restaurants pass this criteria.
2. food. Focus on a handful of items that you are GOOD at, have a special dish that nobody else is as good as you. If you have 100 items on your menu and you have 1 chef you are not going to be able to fill your orders. Work on the taste. It must taste good to earn my $10 if you put such price tag.
3. have experienced staff. Remember people come for service.

Running a restaurant is easier said than done.

No comments: