Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tossing out Green Onions

I mourn for the death of my batch of green onions that I bought about a week ago.
They don't stay fresh for long in the fridge, even if you put in the "keep fresh" drawer in a plastic bag.

Green onions always come in batches wrapped by rubberband, maybe 6 in a batch.
Yikes, Dominicks is outrageous expensive* at $1.50 even if you have that "fresh card".
Not all my recipes require green onions, and maybe I use at most 1 in a dish.
I don't cook enough green onion dishes in a week, inevitably the green onion grow old and I found myself tossing them out.

Why green onions have to come in batches? When can't I buy 1 piece at a time.
Does that rubber band anger environmentalists yet?


*I don't understand why Dominicks is still in business at outrageous prices.
Often they put a red sign saying discount prices but at the automatic cashier it is the same pre-discount outrageous price and of course there are no sales clerks that you can actually talk to.

2 comments:

Alex Mak said...

Save the roots. Grow your own green onions, all you need is a pot and some soil.

dada said...

I brought 25cents a batch in a Korean market.. i definitely don't pay over a dollar for a batch in Chinatown.

You can wrap a paper towel (those that you use to dry your hands) around the batch, put it in the veggie bag you buy your veggie with. it will last longer.


There could be a lot of economical issues behind little thing, but it can also be solve with some old-fashion-wisdom, like 'mun garn chi wai'