Monday, November 3, 2008

"Do you know C Hash?"

I was asked this question one day during a visit to the nearby bookstore with a colleague.

"No, it is C SHARP, as in the musical note".
"Oh".

Apparently this colleague is not into music. This "#" symbol has many names, the number symbol, pound sign, or hash. How does your computer science pronounce "#include" and "#define" during your C lessons?

I have actually never had a formal C lesson in college. I had "AP Computer Science" with Pascal and skipped intro classes, and in college I was expected to already know C. I would suppose most say "pound include" and "pound define".

Now when you actually purchase stuff in pounds, you most likely will see "lbs" in your package.

Why is fried potatoes called hash browns? Ok, some are shaped like #, but not the ones in McDonald's breakfast menu.

Your cellphone has "*" and "#" as special keys. I have never need to use "#"

Ok, C# is a very ingenious name. It is says to be improvement from C (yeah right, actually it is just Microsoft's java). That sharp is half-step increment... Calling it D won't be so cool.

Anyway, back to the C# question. The answer is: I think I do. Sorry, no actual work experience, but I know Java... and I also know Delphi (at least a long-ago version of it), which is also created by the same guy who created C#. C# is basically java-like syntax of Delphi... I am sure I'll get up to speed quickly if someone hires me.

No comments: