Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Library and rules

My aunt used to work for a bookstore, and she delivers fun readings for me once a while. (Thanks Aunt!) All kids should be given inspiring fun stories! Besides fun stories, we get some introduction books too. One article I read was about a library.

The description of library is something like this:

"Library is a place where people read. We keep quiet in the library and we keep the books clean so others can read."

So that was the expectation of the library I've had when I was about 5.

Then one day my dad took me to a local libray. (Thanks Dad!)

Yikes it wasn't quite like my expectation! Some kids are talking loud! When I check out some books, some books are decorated by drawn stuff! Some even have corners torn apart. The librarian can only mildly scold at a very small number of offending kids. From that day I know there are differences between theoretical behaviors and actual behaviors.

In my elementary school in HongKong, we line up and walk a few stairs before reaching the classrooms. (Well fed Americans may DEMAND elevators in that school.) On the first day of school we were told to walk quietly. But my classmates were laughing and talking and even pretended to be kungfu masters. I realize more that some people just don't follow rules. These kids are not considerate for others.

Of course, some older kids (adults) also don't follow rules.

Rules are what make this world orderly, and of course you may have serious consequence if you don't follow. I am sure everyone enjoys the security from rules. I feel fairly secure if I walk along in downtown in daylight without being afraid of being robbed.
It is easy to realize why robbing is bad: how do YOU like being robbed.

But there are those rules that you are not as likely to get caught, such as downloading and watching that new movie illegally.

While MOST people follow obvious rules, we should apply the same (golden) rule: how do YOU like if you spent so much money and produce a movie just to have someone download it for free.

Ok, I'd like to ask those kids I met when I was 5: how do YOU like disrupted by noisy kids when you expect a quiet library. And to the kids who drew on the library books: how do you like it if I draw on your book?

It is easy to follow rules when you can think for others. Of course, greedy offenders don't do that.

No comments: