Saturday, April 14, 2007

I am not upgrading

I saw Office2007 ads all over the CTA. "It's a new day. It's a new office".
Microsoft is very smart at innovating naming its products with a year like a car starting with Windows 95. So you know how old your product is. For instance: I use Office2003 at work, and Office2000 at home. The year tells me even my work Microsoft Office is 4 years old.
We have been little lemmings at upgrades to Microsoft products, it seems like we must upgrade eventually. But I won't this time!

I do only basic word processing, and even Word 2.0 for Windows 3.1 provide all the functionalities I need. I don't need another version of Word. Good old Powerpoint95 suffice for all my presentation needs. I don't use other apps often. So I am not upgrading. Enough. I am not shelling out anymore money. I am sticking with Office2000 until no computers can read my files anymore.

And I won't bother upgrading to Vista either. I have XP and it is good enough for me for now.

Let's go back to the old days of computing where we must upgrade. Back in the days of DOS. Everyone is fed up with the limited 80x25 interface. Upgrading to Windows3.1 was a recommended move. But yikes, Windows 3.1 was such basic Windowing system. We deserve something better, and the windowing experience was revolutionized by Windows 95. Then it was followed by patch after patch. Then followed by 2 flavors of Windows98 and there was the forgotten Windows ME. And there was another line called NT. Everyone was tired. Then NT was gone, replaced by XP. First I have the regular XP, and gosh it cannot run IIS. I need to run ASP! Nope, must go to the Professional version. I hated that. With XP Pro, finally we have a fairly ok system.

What does Vista bring? ooh a new windowing system, but that's mostly cosmetic? Other things are just bells and whistles? I need a REAL reason to upgrade.

I think computing has evolved to the point where there is no real need to upgrade. For example, my stove can let me cook stuff, I need no new stove. Unless there is rocking new innovation with some must-have features (which I can't think of any), I won't buy another Microsoft product.

No comments: