Monday, July 17, 2017

Death to C?

Saw this article about Death to C, and Death to C, ++.

C is old, but it is such important programming language... much of today's systems still based on it, and yes, it is easy to create subtle bugs for bad guys to exploit. Yes pointers are frustrating. But I definitely do NOT want to do C for a living. I need the String type and higher level things like in Java. I am not going to fool around with char *. I am not going to fight pointers for a living.

Wow, people are trying to replace C (and C++) with a rather new language called Rust. Look it won the first place for "most loved programming language" in some developer's survey.

Look at its syntax... newer language just has to be Pascal like with return type behind the method...and has to have functional programming language things like closures.

Part of C's merit is... its SIMPLE syntax. Rust seems to have too complex a syntax for me. Why do people embrace it? I guess I need to read some more about it.. It seems to be strong at concurrency things though.. that stuff is hard.

I am just glad I am not doing much low level things.

But C is here to stay. It just won't disappear any time soon.

Now about the survey... some of these I never heard of, but why is groovy so low. It is a such awesome twist to java.

No comments: