Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Learn C "the hard way"

I came across this book stand out among the bookstore's bookshelf.

Seems like some reverse trend of ..For Dummies books. The author actually opens the whole book up on the web so you can look here.

Now, you decide if you want to endorse this book or learn C from it.

Its Exercise 0 says: get Ubuntu Linux if you're on Windows, and install XCode if you are on Mac (and search online for "installing xcode")

and it also warns against an IDE: Don't use an IDE. An IDE, or "Integrated Development Environment" will turn you stupid.

Exercise 1: where is that #include statement needed to compile puts?

The rest of book... seems to put things out of order of how I would introduce things... uh hem, I saw // this is also a comment, sorry but that is C++.

So I think... this hard way book is just a bit too confusing and not necessarily hard. Yes, C runs fine in Windows too, the author seems to think Linux is the only viable OS in the world. There are plenty of C tutorials out there, I'd go online to search for "learn C" instead of buying this book. and I beg to differ that an IDE turn you stupid.

No comments: