Thursday, October 30, 2014

Computers and Tyranny

I don't like tyranny. If there is just exactly one way to write programs for your system I don't like. Like if you must have a Mac to write a iPhone app I don't like that. You can use Android JDK and whatever machine you have for Android app. I like that better.

If there is exactly one manufacturer that builds your machine I don't like that. Macs are made by Apple only. I prefer openness like the PC. You can pick your motherboard, memory, hard disks etc and build your own system. But I think nowadays people are going for very affordable laptops and don't bother building own systems.

Windows is not the only thing that runs on your PC either. You can run flavors of Linux. I like that. I like freedom. Can Macs run an OS made by someone else? (Yes, by clumsily running some Windows emulator)

Requiring an OS specific key on your keyboard is also tyranny. You mean I cannot shut off machine without calling the Charm Bar with Windows-C? Not like.

.NET Programming. Nearly impossible without Visual Studios. and you have to learn a new version every couple years? Tyranny.

Java programming. Use any IDE you can find, some are free, all sorts of plugin available for free, all you need is a JDK freely downloadable. I like that.

No comments: