Wednesday, July 23, 2008

No News is Good News

It is very hard to find time and effort but I *do* go to a gym to run on a threadmill machine once a while. I am not in top shape. I need a break after running ONE mile at a time at speed of 5.5 to 6mph. I am not traveling close to speed of light, but time already does seem SLOWER when I am traveling just that speed. (See this link if you are interested in Einstein's theory)
It just seems so much longer to run 10 minutes than watching 10 minutes of TV.

During my run I silently watch CNN's closed captions.

The screen says "BREAKING NEWS". But it is nothing really so important: Obama visited Middle East. McCain says something to capture some attention. 10 minutes: same footage videos over and over again.

The suit and tie anchors must look like this is some important news. I feel sorry for these guys. That job sometimes must be bored to death.

On the other hand: no news is good news. Do you want to hear murders, destructions and all that in headlines?

Perhaps that was a peaceful day. Or perhaps we just don't cover important news?

Is there true journalist freedom in America?

Sometimes we feel NUMB. Suicide bomber (as long as not inside America)? How many marines dead? Wildfire in California? Besides the poor victims, news anchors and reporters that have a job to do, how many care?

No comments: